Monday, January 19, 2015

Social Networking and stabilzaition

 The old adage about women (or men) can also apply to social media--Can't live with them; Can't live without them.  At times I love social media like the times log into my Facebook account and see the birth of my nephew in North Carolina.  Within a few quiet moments, I catch up on the mothers sweet moments with her new baby.  I read about her thoughts and her emotions which are further enhanced by portraits of the baby cradled in her arms.  Thousands of miles apart, the captions and the pictures put me right there.  I also enjoy the times when I see what my friends are doing and later I can talk to them about their latest trip or new additions to their family.  I have also benefited by getting feedback when I asked for a good photographer.  I was able to go to several Facebook pages to view the photographers work.  The photographer wasn't cheap, but she was good and worth every penny.  Her Facebook page got her my business.  

But, there are times when I hate (yes, hate) social media like times when I go to lunch with friends and everyone is  checking their phones. At family get to-gathers  everyone is on their phones connecting with other people.  You see it everywhere--people so in-tune to their social media that they don't even notice the person sitting next to them.  So much time can be wasted on Facebook pages that are meaningless.  Some political posts are misleading or just plane false.  There are so many fanatical extremists. 

There are times it appears that social media is putting a gap between the human race, but Hans Roling suggests that Social Media will bridge the gap between third world countries and western countries. Information used to by possessed only by the rich.  With the emergence of technology, information can passed around the world in minutes at little or no cost.  Roling suggest the equal sharing of information will bridge the world wide gap between the rich and the poor.  He sees the western world merging with other countries and the world as a whole on a more equal economic status.

In a Mashable article, they give 5 technology innovations that make Roling's prediction seem closer than estimated (Fox, 2011).
The first three innovations, tablets, laptops, and cell phones are important because of the  affordability of this technology in third world countries and the funds available to make them accessible to school children.   Cell phones can cost as little as $15 and tablets a mere $35.

The last two innovations discussed in this article, alternative power source and water treatment,bring these countries a little closer to the western world.  Commodities we have taken for granted for centuries has been inaccessible to third world counties.  These innovations are improving life in impoverished countries.  Although technology may put a gap at the dinner table, it is bringing the world a little closer together. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment